Frequently Asked Questions
How should I prepare for an estimate?
We recommend discussing the work wanted ahead of time with all involved decision-makers so that we have all of the information needed for the estimate. Make a list of all the work you want to be completed and narrow down the colors you’d like. Set aside approximately 30-60 minutes(depending on the size of the project) for us to learn about your needs and take some measurements.
What are the next steps if we hired you as our painters?
To get on our schedule, we request a 25% deposit and a signed contract. Next, we will discuss colors and finalize details.
When do you take payment?
We ask for a 25% down payment to solidify your spot in our schedule. The remaining 75% is not due until after the job is completed and you are completely satisfied!
Do you take Credit Cards?
Yes we do! (3% convenience fee applies)
What sets Tampa Bay Painting Co. apart from everyone else?
Our attention to detail when it comes to prep work and painting. We treat your home as if it is our own, so you can trust that it gets done right by us.
What process do you use to prepare surfaces to make sure the paint “sticks?”
We remove loose and flaking paint from all surfaces before applying a fresh coat. This is done by pressure washing your home (exteriors), scraping and priming any peeling surfaces as well as caulking all cracks and nail holes that need it. Sometimes, surfaces have to be scuffed up, abraded, or profiled. That’s why we take our time where it counts – in the preparation.
As a homeowner, is there any prep I need to do before my project starts?
For exteriors, please trim back all bushes, trees, and grass/ weeds that are within a foot of the home/areas being painted. Picking up any doggy-doo would be also appreciated so we can keep the work areas clean.
Am I supposed to tip the painters?
Our painters never expect tips. However, if you love the work that they did on your home, you are more than welcome to tip your painters. The industry standard is typically anywhere from 2-4% of the contract
What type of paint do you recommend?
We recommend Sherwin Williams products because they do more product testing than any other paint company and they stand behind their products. This means if there is ever a manufacturing defect, you can trust that Sherwin Williams will take care of you and your project. However, we can use any type of paint you prefer…this is your house, after all!
Are you licensed and insured?
Absolutely! We protect our customers by carrying the appropriate coverages for general liability and workers’ compensation. Note: Many painting companies are unlicensed and/or do not carry worker’s compensation or their insurance has expired. We recommend using a company that is licensed and insured, even if it isn’t us, and get a copy of their current policies and license.
Why is it important that I hire a licensed and insured painting contractor?
Your home is likely the largest investment you will make and hiring an unlicensed and uninsured contractor is not a risk you want to take. While licensing isn’t always necessarily a measure of competence, it does imply a certain level of professionalism and suggests that the contractor is committed to his or her job. More significantly, licensing can protect you from a number of potential problems, such as the following:
– Unlicensed usually means uninsured. If you use a contractor who is uninsured, it means the contractor has no way of reimbursing you for any property damage he or she causes. This means you end up paying the price. Likewise, if contractor carelessness leads to injury or damage to someone else’s property, the problem is likely to become yours.
– No coverage under the homeowner’s policy. Some homeowners believe it is safe to use an uninsured contractor, assuming that any damages incurred would be covered under their own insurance policies. However, this isn’t the case. Most homeowner policies require that any work to the property be done by licensed contractors; coverage is often specifically excluded for damages caused by “bootleg” contractors.
– Poor quality work. Not all unlicensed contractors do poor quality work. And not all poor quality work is done by unlicensed contractors. However, as a rule, if there’s
shoddy work to be done, it’s usually done by unlicensed contractors. Because unlicensed contractors aren’t subject to meeting specific standards, they are often untrained, less experienced, and unqualified to do certain types of work. Tampa Bay Painting Co. is fully licensed and Insured. Our painting contractor lic# is C-10626 and we carry full General Liability ($1,000,000), Auto($1,000,000) and Workers Comp Insurance.